Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Fiona's Apple Tree"

Here's my creation for the Fall Inspired Mini-Quilt Swap
I've named it "Fiona's Apple Tree" after my youngest daughter (3 1/2), as she thinks it looks like one!
We had to use fall colours, and let our imaginations run wild! You can see the other quilts created here. It's a very talented group of ladies. The workmanship is incredible!
The background fabric looks like a fall/winter forest, with bare trees and evergreens! I thought it was perfect for this quilt! The 'leaves' and trunk are all machine appliqued, with some machine embroidery on the one 'leaf.' The only this I wish I had done was stuff the trunk a little..up to the leaves at least...because of the thickness of the leaves, and then the quilting, the trunk sort of creases where they meet. Oh well, I still like it!
This was also my first attempt at free motion quilting on an actual quilt.
I think it turned out pretty good. And I LOVE my Janome!

AND my first ever quilt label! Can you believe I've never labelled my quilts?!?!? Not that there's many...but the few I have made are lacking one...BOO! This is made with cotton and a permanent, fine-tipped, fabric marker. The fabric is actually tone on tone cream...it has leaves that the camera isn't picking up! This was definitely a project of FIRSTS!

This quilt is heading to Washington to my secret swap partner. I hope she likes it!

I'm totally ADDICTED to swaps and bees now, and I'm thinking of signing up for the winter swap?!?! I just love the creative freedom, and the gratification of a finished project!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sam said...

I received the mini quilt yesterday and I love it! I went to hang it up immediatly with the new quilt hanger my mom gave me but I needed a drill and got distracted cleaning my closet. I never did find the drill. It will go up tonight if I have to do it by hand!

LOVE IT! Thank you so much!

Nicole said...

Your mini quilt is absolutely lovely.

About Me

My Photo
Carmen
I am young mother of 4 darling children. I'm also a full-time Labor & Delivery RN. I love to quilt, sew, knit, crochet, do just about anything crafty, in my spare time.
View my complete profile

Followers

quilt haiti